Sunday, October 14, 2007

Update on the PPA

I'm a member of PPA becuase I played in a freeroll on an online site (I don't remember which site) which was funded by PPA and every tournament entry was an automatic membership in PPA. Just a way to build a mailing list to them. I got an email from them recently.

They seem to be almost moving towards honesty about the law when they say
While it is clear that UIGEA does not apply to Internet poker nationwide (federal case law has consistently held that the Wire Act applies only to sports betting, and very few states have any laws against Internet poker), the fact is that this legislation has had a chilling effect on your ability to access and patronize these legal businesses. In some cases, the new law forced some of the most well known competitors out of the U.S. market.

2 Comments:

Blogger Dr Zen said...

I'm interested in the legislation they are pushing.

"Applicants for a license would be required to provide comprehensive financial statements and
corporate structure documents, and to agree to be subject to U.S. jurisdiction and all
applicable laws related to Internet gambling."

A-ha!

6:53 PM  
Blogger Dr Zen said...

So basically they are asking for regulation (and taxation) of everyone who wants to allow US customers. But I'm a resident of Australia. Why should I be taxed by the US on my gambling on a site domiciled in the Isle of Man or Antigua?

6:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home