Thursday, September 13, 2007

I can outplay them

Brian Townsend said something that's interesting Or at least I find it interesting.
I generally play alittle to impatiently with a smaller stack in tourneys. I can get away with it in cash games because I as well as my opponents are much deeper and I cna out play them postflop. But its very hard to outplay someone who has 30BB and has flopped top pair since all there money is going in.

What exactly does that mean?

It sounds like he's saying that he doesn't play tournaments very well but he plays cash games better because his main leak is short stack play and that just doesn't occur in cash games.

But then when he talks about outplaying people it sounds like he's talking about just being sufficiently indifferent to money to make frequent big bluffs that work.

That's fine, that is a valuable personality trait to have in big bet poker, but I'm not so sure I'd call that "outplaying" them.

Am I misunderstanding what he's saying here?

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger DMW said...

It means more than bluffs. It means that he can recognize when his marginal hands are good or not good, and then play accordingly.

3:07 PM  
Blogger Gary Carson said...

Why can't he do that when the stacks are short?

He says pretty clearly that he needs deep stacks to be able to outplay them.

6:45 PM  
Blogger Dr Zen said...

Yes, he's saying he can correctly read other players for big hands and make big bluffs when they don't have them. He's particularly meaning that he can read a board well. That's what "outplaying" means to someone like Brian. He can't do it short because he can't push his opponents off top pair.

To me, outplaying an opponent means that I lose less to them than they would to me with the same situation. It includes what Brian is talking about, of course.

If his opponents are routinely getting it all in with top pair with 30BB, Brian probably needs to have a think about how predictably he plays! The implication is that players feel he will push with draws and they are favourites if they call. Maybe he should think about why they have that impression.

9:20 PM  
Blogger Gary Carson said...

Maybe they just don't know when they're being outplayed.

10:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home