Sunday, June 24, 2007

Grilled Cheese Sandwich

Years ago, I was playing nolimit draw at Artichoke Joes. I had a few hundred dollars on the table. Maybe 7 or 8 hundred. That was all the money I had. That was it, my bankroll, whatever you want to call it.

I ordered a grilled cheese sandwich from the waitress. I think they were a $1.85 back then.

When the waitress came back with my sandwich, I was just standing up. She took a look at the green felt on the table in front of the seat I was leaving and said to me, "You can't pay for this damn sandwich, can you?".

Well, she was right, I couldn't. I was busted. I hadn't been playing with the rent money cause I owned an RV that was right there in the parking lot (my girlfriend had an apartment, whatever you do don't go busted if your girlfriend is pissed at you). But, I was busted.

She paid for the sandwich. The next day I borrowed 20 bucks to buy into the ten cent ante, no blind afternoon game and within a week had a few thousand and had given her $5 to pay for the sandwich and a little juice.

The point of the story is that if you've got any money left, then you aren't busted.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dr Zen said...

Great story, Gary. Please post more stuff on your no-limit poker blog. I enjoy reading Ed Miller and the 2+2 style of poker strategy, but yours is a great counterpoint, really valuable to a learner. Thanks for sharing.

11:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home