Sunday, November 18, 2007

I think I'm an idiot

I saw this post about knowing when to quit and thought I'd write something about my own experience at playing really badly yesterday.

I've had two car engines blow up this year so I guess you could say I've been having some transportation problems. As a consequence I really haven't been playing this much poker. But bought a new car* a couple of days ago and was thinking about driving down to Shawnee, Jim Hankins has been touting it up some and I think he's got pretty good judgement about game selection.

But I recently changed my psychiatric meds and there's always some risk that such a change will affect my judgement in a negative way without my realizing it. So I thought I'd give myself a little test in judgement by playing some online PLO8. I failed the test.

I bought into a 1c/2c short-handed PLO8 game with $1 (there's no reason to spend a lot of money on testing). Three handed. First hand I get 66xy in the big blind, button limps, SB completes, I check.

Flop is 46Q all spades. Maybe that's a good flop, maybe it's not. I don't like it much. SB checks, I check, button bets 6c, SB calls, I call.

I'm planning on folding to a bet on the turn if I don't fill up. If not then I'm drawing for half the pot (hoping the bad guys miss that low draw). I'm just not liking the situation much.

Turn is a 4. Now I'm full. But I'm not even sure I like this now that I think about it. It's not like I have the nuts or anything. SB checks, I check, button bets 6c.

I read that little bet as either queens full, quad 4's, or a nut flush making a feeler.

The small blind makes it 12c. I read that as likely a nut flush with an A23 low draw, or something like that (it turns out that I was right about that part).

Now what should I do? The answer is fold, one of these guys pretty likely has my 6's full beat. What do I actually do? I call. Because I'm an idiot.

Then button raises enough to put me all in. Small blind calls. What do I do? Well we've already established that I'm an idiot. So that pretty much leaves me no option. I have to call to maintain my idiot status.

River is a little card, the queens full on the button splits with the nut low on the small blind and then the ultimate proof of my mental state -- I rebuy.

At least I didn't drive to Shawnee after that. When you make the kind of bad call I made the next step isn't to rebuy. It's to take a nap. Which is what I did after I lost my rebuy.

*Well, it has 140,000 miles on it and it's a van, but new car is a good approximate description. It's at least in better shape than the Toyota pickup in my carport with the blown engine. My yard is about as redneck as you can get without actually having a trailer house in it.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger DMW said...

Hmm. Our of curiosity, who is the author of randomshuffle.blogspot.com? You can email me if you don't want to post it here.

1:16 PM  
Blogger Gary Carson said...

You should probably ask that over there.

7:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home