Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Heads up deals

In a comment on a previous post,
rockspark said...

Oh maybe one question. In a tourney like Poker After Dark, when down to the final two, should a chop (or partial chop with some money to play for) be based strictly on stack size? Is there a case or situation when you would not accept this type of deal?


I watch poker on TV but I don't pay attention to what it is I'm watching, so I'm not sure if Poker After Dark has some kind of special rules or anything.

But, in terms of heads up deal making, I think deal making is best done with a focus on what the other guy might be thinking, not a focus on chips.

Normally, I'm not interested in a chip count split. If someone proposes such a split I won't turn him down, but I won't accept it either. I'll say I want to think about it.

Then if something happens shortly that might disappoint him, like he loses a pot, or his wife comes up to the table and says she's hungry, I'll make a counteroffer that gives me a little extra.

But then again, all the heads up splits I've been involved in has been small tournaments with not so experienced opponents (or experienced but underbankrolled opponents).

Will rockspark email me about a free book preference, and address.

Here's an old rgp thread on splits (not headsup) that I think is interesting.

Here's another old rgp thread.

4 Comments:

Blogger MV said...

Thanks for the response. I should have mentioned that the tournament starts with 6 players, $20k buy-in and only the winner gets paid.

8:13 PM  
Blogger Gary Carson said...

It's not a freeroll?

10:25 PM  
Blogger MV said...

In effect it's probably at least a freeroll with the tv appearance fees. They definitely (and probably deliberately) do not mention chops on the broadcast.

In any case, I'm seeing the point that chops depend on a lot of factors.

9:58 AM  
Blogger Gary Carson said...

I thought you'd meant they do chop. Chops don't make good TV, and most televised tournaments these days have rules against chops.

But, gamblers do tend to be more likely to want to chop when it's a freeroll. The competitive spirit gets dampened, instead of me against you it becomes us against the house (who puts up the prize money) and I'm more likly to want to cooperate with you in a deal.

3:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home