Saturday, March 01, 2008

Slow Play

Slow play is really overrated. Here's a slowplay that probably cost the guy a bet.

It's a razz game. $2/$4 with 25c ante.

I'm dealt a (A 2) with an 8 up.

Relevant cards showing are a couple of 4's, a 7, a 2, and an A.

A Q brings it in for $1 from my immediate left (which makes me last on 3rd street).

The 2 raises to $2, the A calls. I call. The Q folds.

My hand's not so hot since my weakest link (the 8) is shown to the world. But the A 2 is a pretty good hidden start and it's not going to get re-popped.

On 4th street the 2 catches a 3 and the A catches a J. I catch a 2. It pairs me but nobody knows that.

The 2 3 bets, the A J folds. I probably should fold. But I think the chances are pretty good that the 3 paired him. If I catch little on 5th street I'm going to look like a made 8 with a nut redraw and if he catches a brick on 5th I might be able to steal it right then. It's a little bit FPS thinking on my part, but that's what I was thinking.

But it doesn't work out that way. He catches a 6 and I catch a brick (a K). I'm done now. But this is where he gets just really stupid. He checks.

Check? With a 2 3 6 board against a probable made K with a draw to a smooth 8?

He might as well have just turned his cards faceup. He has a made 6. I have no doubt.

If I didn't have the pair, if I actually had a draw to a smooth 8, then I might well call a bet from him here, still thinking that he's paired. But when he checks even if I'm drawing to an 8 and make it I'm done with this hand.




\

3 Comments:

Blogger Mitchell Cogert said...

Hi,

I know you like to play Razz from reading your blog.

I wrote a book on Razz poker that's on amazon.com, called "Play Razz Poker to Win."

When you have a chance, please check it out.

thanks,
Mitchell

11:43 AM  
Blogger Gary Carson said...

Send me a review copy

315 N. Violet
Cushing, OK 74023

12:59 PM  
Blogger burnside2 said...

Gary, my name is Robert Burnside. I wrote the patent for Rush Poker. I am in Houston and I would like to stop by and discuss a potential new virtual system. I have a math degree from UT, and I am an expert on computer software, if it helps. burnside24u@yahoo.com

6:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home