Monday, May 14, 2007

Pot odds

I ran across another blog post from Ed Miller that I kind of agree with. He explains why he doesn't like to emphasize pot odds.

I also think pot odds is something that's often given more emphasis than the topic deserves, for similar reasons to those he gives. Ed gives two reasons.

1. Discussing “pot odds” automatically makes many newer players assume that they are behind.


I'm not so sure I agree with this reason. He goes on to say
The chance that your hand is best is more important when the pot is big.
and he's right about that. But a big pot doesn't make it more likely your hand is best.

I agree that you shouldn't just automatically assume that you're behind, but the recent history of both you and the other guy, plus the texture of the board is what figures into that calculation, not the size of the pot.

It's his second reason that I do agree with strongly.
2. Discussion of “pot odds” makes people play more passively.

I've often said "Pot odds is for losers". It's about calling and that's the last thing you should be thinking about.

Ed has the potential to be a pretty bright guy if he wasn't such an awful judge of character.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home